Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Donald Trump

Love him or hate him, Donald Trump has caught the eyes of all of America and is somehow still a leading candidate in the 2016 Presidential election. In fact, his popularity has grow this past year. According to the NY Times, 39 percent of Republicans view Trump as the best shot to represent the Republicans next November. This 39 percent is up from 26 percent in August.

Could this really happen? Donald Trump as President of the United States? If you asked this question three years ago, everyone would just laugh it off and keep on with their lives. But as we near November, marking one year until the elections, Trump continues to gain steam and votes among the American people.

The only thing that could be scarier than Trump as president would be Hilary Clinton. I don't have anything against her because she is a woman so don't even assume that's what it is. She just comes across as a scatter-brained, money spending candidate that I for one do not think is the one to pull this country out of debt. Sure, I know it won't happen overnight but we need to be moving in the right direction with this next president.


I know Trump doesn’t exactly have the best track record when it comes to money, having filed for bankruptcies four separate times. I do think this presidential race is going to be better than years past when I believe we could have gotten someone a little more qualified than McCain. But we will see what happens, only time will tell.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely cannot see Donald Trump as president. Recently there was a picture of Joe Dirt 2016 going around, which at first came across as humorous (because that is one of my favorite movies ever) but then after thinking about it, I can honestly stay Dirt would get more votes than Trump no matter which party! Think about it: Dirt is caring, level-headed, has a big heart, arguably better hair than Trump, and has the drive to bring people together for the greater good.

    To me, Trump is more of a "I'm just here for the publicity" kind of guy, and Hilary doesn't know how to safe guard her wi-fi servers so we definitely can't trust her with crucial information about anything. I wouldn't want either one of them in office no matter what the circumstances came down to, but like you said, popularity is ever-rising and only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see Trump assuming a role within the government, particularly one dealing in the financial/business related side of things since that's where his experience lies. However, I do not foresee him as a legitimate contender for the office of President. I do think it's interesting to see the fluctuation of his poll numbers and how he has trended among the public, especially after seeing the first Republican debate. The debate seemed to mirror many of the topics we have focused on during class, especially in the opening of the debate. It essentially seemed like a structured insult/rebuttal session between the various candidates and Trump. This could be related to the mixture of soft news with hard news, and how the media often exacerbates any amount of fuel for drama/entertainment. Many candidates were asked about how they felt about a given statement Trump had issued about them, rather than bypassing all of this unnecessary drama and gotten down to the issues at hand that carry repercussions for the People and country itself.
    Much like a prize racing horse owner, money will only get you so far then you've got to let the performance do the talking. Eventually, what he lacks in political experience and tact will catch up to him and it wouldn't surprise me to see ads for a new season of The Apprentice as he quietly falls back in line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is amazing how the presidential campaign has become more of a popularity contest than anything else. Trump is on gaining track in this campaign because he knows how to get attention. Regardless of why he is running for the republican nominee is almost irrelevant at this point to me. The reality is that he simply is not equipped to act as president of the United States. Being president (contrary to popular belief) is still political role. There is a REQUIREMENT of some sort of political knowledge and strategy within the frames of the constitution and presidential powers. Trump has shown no form of political knowledge, he has only presented political opinion (like many other candidates). It will be interesting to see how America allows this to play out.

    ReplyDelete